As the end of summer is approaching and back-to-school is on the horizon, it’s a good time to visit a national park before access becomes limited due to bad weather. If you’ve already made plans to visit a national park, here’s some information to help make your trip even more awesome. If you haven’t, you can use this to help plan your next outing. Here is a list of the top 5 most popular parks to visit along with the closest images from our exclusive Live Cam network:
Top 5 Parks (in order of popularity)
1) Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- If you enjoy hiking, this park offers more than 800 miles of trails
- Located between North Carolina and Tennessee
2) The Grand Canyon
- Considered one of the 7 natural wonders of the world
- The view of the canyon is breathtaking
- Located in Arizona
- If you enjoy rock climbing, Yosemite has some of the best locations possible
- Known for its stunning waterfalls
- Located in California
4) Yellowstone National Park
- Known for its geysers, especially Old Faithful (named for its regular, on-time eruptions)
- Park roads usually close in fall and winter, so if you are quick you can still make it!
- Located in parts of Wyoming, Idaho and Montana
5) Olympic National Park
- The heart of the park has stunning wilderness; a primeval sanctuary for humans and wild creatures alike
- 5 highly recommended areas to visit within park: Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent, Rialto Beach, Hoh Rainforest and Ruby Beach
- Located in Washington
Fun Facts about Parks
- Trees in U.S. urban parks remove 75,000 tons of air pollution, which translates to about $500,000,000 per year in economic benefit
- More than 720 million people visit parks each year in the U.S.
- A lot of these parks are also safe havens to wildlife that may be starting to become extinct because of all the wildlife hunting — such as the Northern Aplomado Falcon, Gray Wolf, Ocelot and White-nosed Coati!
If you’re planning a trip to a national park, be sure to check out WeatherBug’s Outdoor Nature forecast – it’ll tell you the best days (and time) to go!
Since almost all activities you’ll be doing on a trip like this takes place outdoors, be sure to download WeatherBug on your Android smartphone or iPhone — you’ll get the best forecasts, the fastest severe weather alerts and Spark (so you know how far away lightning is to you and when to get indoors)!
Stay Safe. Know Before™.
-The WeatherBug Team
Download WeatherBug (it’s free!) for your smartphone today to Know Before™ severe weather strikes:
Or if you’re on a computer: